My Reason to Smile
One of my biggest and silliest worries before setting foot in America, when asked by a number of people before my big flight, was that I would never really have a connection with the people I would meet and friends I make.
This I attribute to my observations of international students who come to Malaysia to further their studies. I was friends with them, but for some reason, I never had a real friendship with them. Had they left the country the next day, I wouldn't sorely miss them, sadly.
I can safely say, however, that my doubts prior to arriving here were foolish, to say the least, since I met Max. Having met during last year's Spring Break trip, we became fast friends. He had fun stories to tell and was always curious about Malaysia, and I had questions and interesting observations about being in America which he listened to intently. Together, we found similar interests and a sense of humour.
Spring Break, wohoo!
Despite being in respective relationships, we had a great friendship and I was continually counting my blessings for having made such a wonderful friend in a foreign land. I liked discussing my new insights on Sociology, he shared his Economic perspective.
They say when one door closes, a whole lot more open up. I suppose the same can be said about relationships. When one relationship comes to an end, instead of dwelling on what was, it's better to explore what is. And that's what happened to the both of us.
I'd like to think of it as both of us mending broken and distraught hearts that lead us to becoming even closer friends and blossoming a romance. (Look at me being all soppy; since when?!)
We went to football games together!
We went to church retreats together!
And we did a lot of different activities together and in groups, mostly having fun and moving on from a past that had to remain the past. For me, it got my mind off the guilt from the culmination of my last relationship. As much as I thought I deserved it from putting someone through heartache, I was proud of my raw honesty with myself and took it as a sign of really becoming an adult.
And then I found a reason to smile, more and more, as our relationship grew. An exciting part was telling the our loved ones about it. We loved sharing the reactions of each one of the people we personally told. I was blessed with nothing but support.
The greatest compliment, I would say, is when people tell me how happy I look, even without knowing the reason why. Isn't it a great sign when you meet someone and immediately want to tell them about this great guy you're dating? Or when you wake up each morning with a smile, thinking how good things are going between you two?
I very much think so. Yes, I am very happy. Despite being in a long relationship before, this feels different. A good different. The kind that makes me feel proud of the relationship and not shy to hold hands in public.
Here's what happened on Valentine's Day:
I was sent on a treasure hunt around campus and on the way, picked up gifts. Like a bouquet of my favourite flowers (a gerbera, hydrangea and rose) and heart-shaped raisin and oatmeal cookie (my favourite kind of cookie) and a box of chocolates. The final treasure was the chalk drawing on the ground, of which I happily added stars to at Max's suggestion.
Our Japanese/Korean dinner.
Needless to say, I melted. To the ground. What did I do to deserve such a sweet treat (in more ways than one)? Nothing I can think of. All I do know is that I've been blessed a hundred times over.
Max cutting into the Upside Down Peach Cake he and Katie made for me on my birthday. If I haven't already mentioned, that was some good cake.
So, all five remaining readers out there, this is Max. We cook together (he cooks, bakes, makes mixed drinks extremely well -- yes, one in a million!), eat together, talk about food together, talk about school work and complain about homework together, laugh at The Office together, watch Glee together (although I don't know how much he would like people knowing that), take long walks together, exercise together (I showed him a few moves at kickboxing; he encourages me to keep jogging when I'm about to start walking hehe), walk to class together, encourage each other when things get tough, and go to church together.


Comments
I didn't realise it, but you put such a big smile on my face as I read through this post!
Mel & Sham: Aww thank you so much :)
Melody: You're making me smile even more!
Dot: *Joins in confetti snacking*
I really love your love story <3
-Hazel