Tagged!

I've been tagged. It's the first time this has happend to me, thanks Ben. At least the questions are not mindless-relationship-friendship stuff I see enough of on Friendster. Here goes:

1)Total number of books you own

Hmmm...Do my pre-teen Sweet Valley books count? Yes, I admit reading such books, and I was very much inspired by them to write stories of my own. They got me started ;)

Back to the question, I think I've got about 50 or so(?) books, maybe a few more, including those childish ones. But I still count them because they've been so much a part of me. I've reread them a million times!

2)The last book you bought

I bought 6 books at a warehouse sale a few months back but haven't come close to finish reading all of them.

Jonathan Franzen (The Corrections), Erica James (Paradise House), Frank Ronan (Home), Diana Abu-Jaber (Crescent), Sara Banerji (Shining Hero), Anita Nair (Ladies' Coupe).

3)The last book you read

I was in the midst of reading The Corrections when Tanya lent me Jonathan Coe's The Closed Circle. Still in the process.

Before that I read Yann Martel's The Life of Pi, before that The Map of Love by Ahdaf Soueif, before that Late Season by Christobel Kent.

4)Five books that mean a lot to me

Wow, FIVE? Lets see..I've decided to switch the question to my five favourite books.

I really loved Angela's Ashes. Frank McCourt introduced me to a new style of writing - his own. I was shocked to know that his whole book was without inverted commas. And he had such innocense writing an account of his life. Such detail he could remember happened to him as a child. It made me wonder if I could remember that much about my childhood, and regret those momories I'd forgotten. And of course the humour was a plus. The Catholism and all that came with it was just too funny.

Perhaps in Paradise by Ellina bt. Abdul Majid is another book I enjoyed and reread too many times. One of the first fiction Malaysian books, if not the only one I know of. It was exciting to read how alike her childhood was to mine. Phew! I'm normal! And it was just so colourful with the scenery and characters. Terribly Malaysian, even with Malaysian slang in the conversations. Inspired me even more to write, more so about life here.

Mom bought me a Christian novel when I was in Standard 4 from Glad Sounds. I picked it, of course. It was Andrea, by Gloria Chisholm. There was just something about the book that I loved and kept me glued to it. I remember leaving it under my pillow as I slept at night and waking up the next morning to resume my reading. I read it over and over again. It's a simple plot really - girl's boyfriend meets with an accident and dies; the very Christian family of the boy rubs off on her and she converts, of course without minor setbacks. A little cliche, but enjoyable.

Romeo and Juliet, of course by William Shakespeare. I may not remember every line to each scene, but I remember enjoying every minute of it. I read it because UM was having a play based on the great work of Shakespeare so I wanted to be sure I knew the story before watching it. I also wanted to know what was cut out in the show and what the real story was. He had too many memorable lines. "If music be the food of love, play on," is what I remember most. That's a great line, no? He had such depth in the language and rhymed at almost every line! Truly a legend. P/S: I loved Sonnet 18 too ;p Most of all, I loved that I was able to understand the book, even the funny parts! Hehehe.

Hmm, this is a tough one. Out of so many, I have to pick one. I can't decide; It's either Amy Tan's The Kitchen God's Wife or Joanne Harris' Five Quarters of the Orange. The former, because of the ethnicity of the writer. Both books have to do with food, so you can guess why I like them. Amy Tan got me hooked to the book and it was hard to put down. I loved her little humour moments and her description of the Chinese customs. Five Quarters was very much on an insane mother and her love for her children. It just caught me and I was hooked.

5)Tag five people and have them fill this out on their blogs

Hmmm, I wonder if I have 5 friends who blog and read my blog, to fill this out. TAG, YOU'RE IT!:

TANYA!
KAREN!
HAZEL!*
MICHELLE!*
HAFIZAH!*

*Not sure if they read this blog frequently.

Hehehehe.

Comments

Popular Posts